Monday 1 July 2013

Why is a Raven like a writing desk?

I wrote film reviews for a radio show for 5 weeks once upon a time  and on my old blog I posted a few more so figured I'd carry the old reviews (or as I'd prefere to call them me waffling bout films) over to here:


"Am I mad? Most definitely. But I'll let you in on a secret... all the best people are!"

Last night I watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. This movie takes a classic story and develops it with a modern twist. It's 13 years since Alice first visited Wonderland and now she must go back down the rabbit hole to learn what her true destiny in Wonderland is. 

On first viewing Wonderland it is bright with many unusual creatures but it becomes clear there are two very contrasting sides of Wonderland. There is a darkness created by the evil Queen of Hearts and then the lighter somewhat brighter side of the White Queen. 

As Alice makes her journey through Wonderland once again we meet all the well known characters such as the White Rabbit, The Door Mouse, The March Hare and of course the Mad Hatter. What I like about this movie is how some of these characters are explored further especially the Mad Hatter. The Mad Hatter, who is indeed mad, I played by Johnny Depp. I was expecting to be scared by the Mad Hatter as Johnny Depp's portrayal of Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out a little. However I found as his character's story developed in this movie I warmed a little to him and by the end couldn't help but love his Mad Hatter.

As with all Disney movies there is a villain and a hero. Alice being the hero she must defeat the Queen of Heart's Monster in order to restore Wonderland to it's rightful ruler the White Queen. Disney wouldn't be Disney if it didn't have a happy ending though right? So having saved Wonderland, Alice returns to her "real world" where she informs everyone needed she will no longer be taking any of their orders and makes it perfectly clear she will be making her own decisions from here on in. 

For any Disney lover this is a must see at least once. It's quirky, colourful and the perfect development of a classic tale.

"So why is a Raven like a writing desk? I have no idea"

Have a Wonderful Day

No comments:

Post a Comment